Groupe des anciens étudiants rescapes du genocide
GAERG in acronym, is non-profit Association bringing together former
students who survived the genocide of Tutsis in 1994.
GAERG was created in September 2003 in Kigali, the idea came in as former
Members were leaving Universities and Institutions of Higher learning
hence loosing the title to be active members of AERG.
The reason why it was created:
This was due to the fact that once outside the campus, many other
challenges were to be faced, these including:
• Staying together for a core mutual solidarity.
• Facing together the competitiveness on the local Market
• Shelter problems
• Job crisis
• Own family set up
• Looking after Young Students still at Schools (left behind) by
• Contribute to the well being of these ones tending or already
dropping out due to lack of means.
• Looking a way to be of a certain use to local Survival community.
• Organize ourselves for Remembrance work
Main mission of GAERG:
Right from the above reason, we fixed the main mission as follows:
Grouping and empowering our members, the entire community and our
future generations so as to stand still in their struggle for
To be a well known organization whose members are professionally,
economically and driven to fighting against Genocide and its
In order to accomplish the above mission ,the following 0bjectives
* Strengthening the capacity of our members to cope with problems related
to trauma, justice, security, and social economic issues.
* Identify,and advocate for socio-economic problems faced by survivors of
Genocide committed against the Tutsi by promoting GAERG members mutual
material and moral support.
* Educating people to fight against the revisionist views of genocide in
Rwanda and elsewhere in the world.
* Perpetuate the memory of Genocide, by collecting and conserving the
testimonials and any other thing in connection with the genocide in a
secure and sustainable way for future generations.
* Strengthening cooperation with other national and international
organizations fighting for the same reasons as our association without
forgetting partnership with other organizations that fall in our goals.
* Fight for justice and compensation on behalf of the survivors of
* Keeping, enhancing and increasing the production of the survivors of
genocide from their properties